Williams Arena
Williams Arena is on the Twin Cities main campus of the University of Minnesota in
Minneapolis, Minnesota. Initially known as the Minnesota Field House (another
building has that name today), it was constructed in the 1920s and opened in 1928.
The arena was remodeled in the 1950s, and renamed Williams Arena after Dr. Henry
L. Williams, the football coach from 1900 to 1921. The building is known
affectionately as "The Barn," and its student section is known as The Barnyard.

During a 1950s renovation, it was divided into two separate arenas within one
building. The larger one for basketball and the smaller one for hockey were called
Williams Arena until March 2, 1985, when the hockey section was renamed Mariucci
Arena after John Mariucci. The hockey team moved into a new building across the
street from Williams in the early 1990s. This building was also named Mariucci Arena.
The old Mariucci Arena within Williams was remodeled into the Sports Pavilion and
now houses the volleyball, wrestling and gymnastic teams.
     Williams Arena Facts